Friday, February 5, 2010

No, Guy, You're Not Pregnant

I am happy to see that I am not the only person who finds it strange to hear a man announce: "We're pregnant."

Today in a New York Times interview, Dr. Randi Hutter Epstein, author of a new book on childbirth, called, felicitously enough, "Get Me Out," offers a great comment on the topic: "My personal feeling is I hate when men say: 'we're pregnant.' No, you're not. I'm pregnant. They're not going through it." Link here.

I know what you're thinking here: what a pronominal jumble. And you would be right to think that. For now let's just say that it's another victory for feminism and allow ourselves to be happy to see a woman who has the courage to reclaim an experience that is rightly and properly hers.

As for the men who proclaim that they have gotten pregnant, we will stop laughing at them when they start practicing couvade.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yet no guys says: "But the head was too big and my vagina tore."

Hmmmm. It's a puzzle....

--Gray